Although I’ve never made one of these myself, a few of my friends at each school had one of these on their desks. Right now, you might be thinking “What the heck would I ever need this for?” Well I’m going to tell you. Your space is going to be very limited in your dorm room between your tiny desk and tiny closet and tiny everything. The more space-saving things you can find the better, trust me. This little contraption comes in handy when it comes to organizing all of your chargers and plugs. Schools are very strict with the fire code in your room, so you have to be careful everything is up to code before you start. You need a shoe box to start, and preferably one that has a removable top. You can decorate this however you’d like, but I would suggest making it match the other decorations you already have. You don’t want a blue and white themed room with a random lime green box sitting on your desk. The better they match, the better your room will look. For this one, you’ll need to make a trip to your local craft store. Remember, be original, be creative, and happy crafting!
- Shoe Box
- Paint or decorative paper
- Surge Protector
- Decorations for outside
- Cut circular holes, as many as you think you’ll need, on either of the long sides of the box, and one hole on either of the short sides (this will be where your surge protector will go in)
- Paint the box with whatever color you’ve chosen or glue your decorative paper to the outside of the box and the cover.
- Make sure to get all 5 sides of the box and all 5 sides of the lid
- Wait until everything dries, and then all your additional decorations you bought
- Insert the surge protector from the short side, and plug-in your chargers from the top
- Make sure to feed the chargers out of the holes you cut on the long side
- Feel free to label each hole you made with what each charger is meant for (if you need any sort of reference, refer to the picture above)
- Cover your decorative box, plug-in your surge protector, and enjoy having an organized desk!